World Literature 2015-2016 School Year
This year I am going to again be using this blog as our class textbook. All of your assignments will be listed here and many of your reading assignments will be online. Some of them will be photocopied handouts. But there will be a few books that you need to purchase.
What I can do is is actually get the books for you, so that you will have the right edition. I will select the best book for the best price, and that way you don’t have to worry about whether it is the wrong edition or abridged.
I will let you know at the back to school meeting what books are required and how much they will cost.
- The Prisoner in the Third Cell, Gene Edwards
- Hamlet, No Fear Shakespeare
- Night, Elie Weisel
- The Hiding Place, Corrie Ten Boom
American Literature 2014-2015 School Year
This year we will be using many of the literary selections in the Notgrass Exploring America curriculum set. Students will have the pleasure of reading the works of Frederick Douglass, Anne Bradstreet, Langston Hughes, Emily Dickinson, Walt Whitman, Ernest Hemingway, and many others.
Many of the selections are already in the textbooks. But you will have to purchase a few of the novels. I would like us to purchase the exact publication listed, so that I can assign the pages and we can easily discuss the book in class. It is important that we have identical page numbers. These are the books that they will spend more time with in class as well, therefore online texts would not be suitable. There are, however a few books that they can read online or get from the library, which I have listed below.
Please Purchase (the exact publication pictured, by the exact publisher) The link will take you to the correct book:
- Exploring America, Notgrass. (2014 edition is okay). This costs about $99.95.
- Uncle Tom’s Cabin, by Harriet Beecher Stowe, published by Dover Thrift. Amazon has it for about $3.00.
- The Old Man and The Sea, by Ernest Hemingway, published by Scribner. The cover should look like the one on the right. This book is about $6.00 new, on Amazon.
- In His Steps, by Charles Sheldon, published by Mass Market Paperback. This is about $5.00 new, on Amazon.
- Mark Twain, Humorous Stories and Sketches, published by Dover Thrift. This goes for about $2.00 on Amazon.
We will also be reading a few books that are free online, or available at the library:
- The Narrative of the Life of Frederick Douglass, Written by Himself
- Up From Slavery, by Booker T. Washington
- To Kill a Mockingbird, by Harper Lee
For these three books you can use any publication. I will bring excerpts into class for the discussion and activities.
If you have any questions, please let me know BEFORE you buy your books!
Reading Material 2013-2014 School Year
No Fear Shakespeare Romeo and Juliet