Essay Prompt: Consider if Tom or Eva in Uncle Tom’s Cabin display any Christ-like qualities. What are they? And why do you suppose that was done?
So obviously, what I am going to have you do for your last essay of the semester is finish what you started on your last test. You already have two paragraphs of your essay done! All you need to do is the same thing you already did twice. Find another quote that shows your character exhibiting Christ-like character. Transform these notes into 3 nice body paragraphs, with a nice topic sentence.
Then just add an introductory and concluding paragraph–BAM. Done.
Your test was teaching you to find quotes in the book that support the thesis that Tom and Eva had Christ-like qualities. I would suggest you might want to pick one about Tom’s death scene (since it would be perfect). You can actually write one or two more body paragraphs. You are welcome to discuss both Tom and Eva, or you can choose to focus on just one of them.
What I am going to grade on:
- Good Introduction—Attention grabber in the first sentence, description of the characters, and clear thesis statement as the LAST sentence of introduction (which answers the question–“Do Tom and Eva have Christ-like qualities?”)
- Good Body Paragraphs--Each body sentence should begin with a topic sentence that transitions smoothly from the last paragraph. You must quote the book with parenthetical citation, then elaborate on the quote. Give at least 2-3 sentences discussing how your quote shows Christlike Character (even allude to the Bible or specific attributes of Christ).
- Conclusion–Your conclusion should begin by restating the thesis, and then explaining why this matters. Why did Stowe choose to portray her characters like Jesus? What effect does it have on her early readers? Why does it matter to us today? etc. and on and on . . .
- Format–The essay must be typed, double spaced, MLA format. It must be perfect. Please refer back to the instructions on how to format your essay.
- Content–I will grade you on what you say, your ideas, that you are not just blabbering on and pretending to care just to take up space.
Your essay must be at least 2-3 pages (3-4 pages if you are 10th grade or above)
This assignment is worth 100 pts.
I will not collect a rough draft, but I suggest you write one, let your parents read it,
and fix it A LOT before turning it in.
DUE JANUARY 9, 2015
Okay, so Nate asked a great question about how to quote longer sections of the text. So you can read our comments below in the comment section. And I wanted to give you some information here on how to format LONG quotes (longer than 4 lines in your paper). This is from the OWL–Purdue Online Writing Lab: